Thursday, January 14, 2010

pennsylvania farm show 2010

The Pennsylvania Farm Show, held each January in Harrisburg, is the biggest indoor farm show in the United States. I've seen it lots on TV, thanks to the great job done by PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network), but yesterday was the first time I actually went to it. We arrived, in a snail line of cars, before noon. By then the main lots were filled and we were funneled to offsite parking. Shuttle buses, though, were plentiful and quick and we didn't have to wait at all in the cold. One of the first displays I saw on entering the main hall was this one for 4-H. I used to have a notebook of pressed leaves much like the one on display!

This display of canned fruit looked like a huge, colorful wedding cake.

Pennsylvania is dairy country and there were lots of big beautiful cows at the farm show. The sculpted butter display paid tribute to the state's main agricultural industry.

The cows were gorgeous but the poultry hall was an audio blast, with non-stop quacks, clucks, screeches, and cock-a-doodle-dos. I never made it to see the horses, pigs, sheep, goats, and others. Lots of people were taking photos. If I had the time, I'd go back today to take lots more.

Here's a closer view of the handsome boy that attracted the photographer above.

I bought some tasty horseradish, hemp, and honey mustard and a jar of raspberry/hemp jam at Natalie's, "working to free the hemp seed since 1998" and bring hemp growing back to Pennsylvania. I also sampled their Hempzels (hemp pretzels), but passed because I'd just bought my fave spelt pretzels. The friendly guy running the stand said that Natalie's is now selling at a co-op on Main Street in Easton. I'll have to check it out when I want more pretzels.