Saturday, March 28, 2009

schoolkids playing baseball

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was sunny and warm, and on a back road in Berks County, I saw a wonderful sight. At a Mennonite one-room school house on a rise off the road, kids were out in the schoolyard playing baseball during the lunch recess. The bonnet-wearing teacher was the pitcher. Great scene!

While driving, I also heard Jamie Moyer being interviewed on the radio. Asked about the pitching rubber he dug up at the end of the World Series, he replied, "It's the last thing I see when I close my eyes at night and the first thing I see when I open them in the morning."

Yesterday the Phillies traded recently-acquired back-up catcher Ronny Paulino to the Giants for lefty reliever Jack Taschner. The Giants then traded Paulino, whom Charlie Manuel recently critiqued none too favorably, to the Marlins for righty Hector Correa. What comes out of any of these moves is anybody's guess. For the Phillies, who need a stopgap lefty while J.C. Romero is out, it indicates that Chris Coste has again secured the back-up catching job.