Saturday, March 21, 2009

getting closer

If anyone had put the news on this morning, I would not have taken Rt. 33 north to go to the Met simulcast up in Moosic. About 30 minutes from home, I saw a sign for roadwork, then one that said 'accident ahead'. Soon after that I found myself in a sea of cars, with signs saying 'road closed ahead'. It had been closed, I learned after getting home, owing to a hydrofluoric acid spill this morning around 3:30. I followed some of the scofflaws in the tie-up, turned around, and headed back. I hope that the many people evacuated because of the spill are soon back in their homes and happy to be there.

Instead of going to the opera, I stopped at the ticket office at Coca-Cola Park, where there was a steady stream of customers, picking up orders or buying tickets. Yes, it's getting closer. The IronPigs open on April 9. At home, I watched the Phillies play the Twins in a fast-paced game that ended before 3:30. Kyle Kendrick had maybe his best outing of the spring season, giving up two runs in the first but otherwise looking good through five. Brad Lidge had his slider going in his inning of work. Otherwise, the Twins' knuckleballer had the Phillies all out of synch.