Monday, March 2, 2009

after snowdrop, snow

I saw the first snowdrop, a tight little bud, two days ago. Last night the snow started. This morning at 7:00, I was shoveling a path to the mailbox, then sweeping off the car. There was maybe five inches, but it was dry enough to push around with ease. I noted that around 8:00 it started snowing again. I left at 9:15 for a 10:00 am appointment, figuring I'd stop at the post office and also pick up some bird feed. Pulling out of the driveway, I fishtailed. The road, clear at seven, was suddenly a mess. I made it to the p.o., slowly, slowly, then into town, where visibility was if anything worse. No time for the birds.

I did stop after my appointment, then crept home. The roads were just awful. I guess the township decided not to plow until the snow was gone. It was one lane pretty much the whole way. I was just lucky I didn't run into any of the ----wits out earlier on my way into town. It was blizzard conditions for the entire morning, with snow blowing fast and furious. Each time I stopped the car for an errand, I had to clean it off. By the time I got home at noon, another three inches had fallen.

Then around one, it all stopped, the sun came out, and it was just another windy freezing winter day in Pennsylvania. As I write, the temperature is about 14F and the 'realfeel' is in the minus digits. The wind howls. Spring must be just around the corner.

In today's main game both J.A. Happ and the adorable Carlos Carrasco got a bit battered. But the Phillies did the same to the Jays' starters and won the game 12-7. No game tomorrow. Peace.