Friday, March 20, 2009

"my tattered heart"

I heard the following quote from Ichiro during last night's WBC game. Describing his failed bunt attempt in the Cuban game the night before, he said that it was "another crack in my tattered heart" and that he felt as if he were wearing a Cuban uniform. Oh, the drama. I would love to know what the original Japanese was. Anyway, the quotation sent me immediately to make a postcard, which I did using a newspaper cutting sent earlier this week by a friend in Kyoto.

Japan gets its (unstated) wish and will face the US, the weak sister in the quartet of teams left, on Sunday evening.

Meanwhile, I wish I'd seen Joe Blanton yesterday in the Grapefruit League. He pitched six scoreless innings of one-hit ball. Even more impressive, he never threw more than four balls per inning. The Phillies continue in Jupiter for another day, today facing the Cards.