Tuesday, January 27, 2009

mozart's 253rd

It's Mozart's birthday. This image is of a Christmas tin of Reber Mozartkugeln, a rather yummy bonbon made of pistachio marzipan and nougat which is dipped in dark chocolate. To celebrate the day I took my mother and cousin to lunch at Bolete, a local restaurant which has won national praise. I had an excellent green salad made with dried cranberries, candied walnuts, Point Reyes blue cheese, and cranberry vinaigrette, and oyster po' boys that made me long for Japan, the country where oysters became a passion of mine. In Obama, on the coast of the Sea of Japan, I usually ate them raw, but at a little restaurant just across the street from my house in Kyoto fried oysters were a seasonal specialty.

Happy birthday to my favorite European classical composer!