Tuesday, January 27, 2009

two good guys

Negro League baseball cards in last year's baseball show at the Lehigh Valley Heritage Museum in Allentown, PA.

According to a recent story in the Reading Eagle, everyone who attended the Phillies' Winter Caravan last Thursday in Reading got to have their photo taken with the World Series trophy. Each photo came with a frame signed by manager Charlie Manuel. In the days before the Reading stop, Manuel signed some 900 frames for the event, which drew 870.

Yesterday was computer clean-up day. My computer geek Jesse had a half-day at school and was supposed to be available around noon. Shortly before 11, though, he called from school, asking me to pick him up. I later learned that he had called from class. Phones are allowed in class, I asked in disbelief. "Look," said Jesse, "after years of fighting it, they gave it up and kids now phone and text during class. But at least I asked the teacher if I could call."