Saturday, January 10, 2009

la petite auberge

I was in New York yesterday, first on Lexington Avenue, where I took this photo of the Chrysler Building, my fave. I took it just a couple of blocks from La Petite Auberge, where I met a friend for lunch. We usually meet at one of the South Indian restaurants in the same neighborhood but this time he suggested a French restaurant featuring bistro food. It turned out to be a comfy kind of place, with an old-style decor, good service, and good food of the sort that used to typify French cooking. I had leeks vinaigrette and filet of sole meuniere. My friend had butternut squash soup and veal medallions. For dessert, I had creme caramel and he had chocolate mousse. We also each had a glass of wine to toast the new year. I might not try the leeks again, which were creamier than I like and, though tasty, seemed to have come straight from the fridge. The sole, though, was cooked well, which is to say it was not at all overcooked. All in all, La Petite Auberge was a delight. No trip to Paris in the works but yesterday's lunch brought the city a bit closer.

After lunch, I went across town to interview artist Cyrilla Mozenter. We talked in her studio for two and a half hours, surrounded by her magical creations, as the light slowly faded from the New York sky.