Thursday, May 28, 2009

cutters in clinton

Front view of the Hunterdon Art Museum in Clinton, New Jersey.

View from a back window of the museum, with rental canoes piled up on the riverbank.

Yesterday was my second visit to the Hunterdon Art Museum and once again the museum delivered. This time I went to see a show called Cutters, which features 25 or so artists who cut, slash, burn, shred or likewise manipulate paper, metal and other materials to transform it. It seems unfair to single out any artists for mention. All of the work was different and I liked it all, something that does not often happen. All in all, it was an exciting show. I had to keep wondering though as I walked through it why there was no place for work by friend Jozef Bajus, who been doing great things with cut paper for years.

As with the earlier show I saw at HAM, the two peripheral shows were also good. This time they featured works by painters Phyllis Carlin and Valeri Larko.

I look forward next week to interviewing Mia Pearlman, one of the artists in Cutters.