Monday, September 28, 2009

whew! .500

I was driving north yesterday when the Phillies loaded the bases for the 4th time. They had scored exactly two runs the first time they loaded them. The other times: nada. In frustration I turned to a news station. Pretty soon I heard there that the Brewers had cut the Phillies 6-1 lead to 6-5. Aaargh! When I tuned back into the game, Larry Andersen was saying that the bullpen had to get nine outs for a win. The doubt in his voice was almost palpable. I couldn't take it and switched to jazz. When I went back to the game, I heard Ryan Madson being interviewed. Woohoo! The bullpen, in the persons of Clay Condrey, Sergio Escalona, Chad Durbin, and Ryan Madson had done it, preserving the win for Joe Blanton. The Phillies finished with a .500 roadtrip and got a much needed win. The pesky magic number is now three. Rally towel time!

Said Jimmy Rollins the other day: "If we worried about what the people were worrying about, that would be too much worrying."