Tuesday, September 22, 2009

bye-bye, minors

The Lakewood BlueClaws patterned each program this year after a famous magazine. The last one of the year was dedicated to the end of Pinchy, the logo for the 'Claws since their inception in 2000. Stay tuned for P's replacement, already being marketed. Oh, and the BlueClaws have the best programs in the Phillies' minor league system.

I usually make it to a couple of games in Williamsport and Lakewood but don't really pay a whole lot of attention to the minors till the players make it to Reading. It was interesting, though, this year to see the BlueClaws play a couple of times during the first half of the season. The times I saw them I would not have guessed they were on their way to taking first place in the first half. But they did. The next time I saw the team was in the championship play-offs and was I surprised.

Anthony Gose had by then topped all teams in the minors with 76 steals and was looking a lot better at the plate. I had been impressed by the glimpses I had of Freddy Galvis at Reading and was likewise impressed by Troy Hanzawa. Travis D'Arnaud inspired confidence. So did Jesus Sanchez and Austin Hyatt. I could talk about others but will stick only to players I saw at season's end. Harold Garcia and Brian Gump also stood out. Next year most of these guys will have moved on. Good luck to all. So few will make it to Reading, even fewer to Philadelphia.