Wednesday, January 5, 2011

balk

This online zine called Balk! was in a Christmas packet from Priscilla. I still don't know where she learned about it but this first issue, put out in April 2009, is hysterically funny. The cover led me to assume that it was about the Phillies and I started leafing through the pages, all of which featured wacko baseball cards, plus commentary, of players past.

After a couple of pages, I got the point: All players were wearing glasses, most of them truly hideous, too. When I finally went back to read the intro, it all made sense. It was written by the great bespectacled one himself, Kent Tekulve.

According to the publisher's note, upcoming issues were to feature players with unique haircuts and facial hair, and more bad baseball cards, but the first issue seems to have been the last. The zine's site (www.balkmag.wordpress.com) is a dead-end. Too bad. The first issue was great fun and informative, too.