Thursday, May 27, 2010

dragon tattoo

Just-picked strawberries at my favorite roadside farm in Berks County. Strawberries are early this year but sweetly delicious.

Last night I went to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and it lived up, somewhat amazingly, to all of the hype. Noomi Rapace plays the edgy Lisbeth Salander and pretty much walks away with the movie. Michael Nyqvist as the middle-aged investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist is good but Rapace is super. I knew the movie was two and a half hours long but my only thought during it was if there would be enough time for it all to play out. Lots of character development in the book has been inevitably cut, but readers of the books can fill in the blanks. I can hardly wait for part 2 of the cinematic version to arrive in the US. And for the third book in the trilogy, which was, I think, due out yesterday.

What a downer it was to hear when I got home that the Phillies had again been shut out. That's three times in four games that they have not scored against a starting pitcher. In the past eight games they are batting .199. And playing like the living dead. Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, you are missed.