Thursday, August 21, 2008

win #2: cg shutout

Broad-shouldered bonding before last night's game with the Nats.

Brett Myers overcame some shoddy defense to pitch a complete game shutout, while the woeful Nats were unable to give their young starter Collin Balester anything. Phillies won 4-0, another game that they had to have. Jimmy Rollins was booed each time he came to bat. There were even boos from my section, which prompted me to sing out, "My section's turned stupid!" The man next to me cracked up, and he and I traded pointed comments on fan behavior and comprehension throughout the game. Rollins also got a standing O from the majority of the sellout crowd who were not braying donkeys after he started a spectacular 6-4-3 double play in the late innings.

As Leo Durocher said, "Baseball's like church. Many attend; few understand."