Sunday, April 10, 2011

"the floor's all wet!"

When I heard about the $1 weekend being held by the Lakewood BlueClaws, I had to get a ticket. The BlueClaws, who opened their season on Thursday, were bringing back an old promotion for their opening weekend. All tickets for the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday games this week were $1. I immediately got tix for the Saturday game. When I heard that the probable pitcher for the game was last year's first-round pick Jesse Biddle, I was even more excited.

But weather happens. Friday night's game was rained out, which set up a double-header for Saturday. I drove down to Lakewood, about two hours away, planning to get there before game 2, to be started by Biddle. I arrived around six and saw cars streaming out of the parking lot and fans out of the park. When I got out of the car, though, the woman standing at the car next to mine said the game had been postponed. Huh? The weather was brisk but lovely. So we all waited for the husband to return to the car with the grandson, who looked to be about five.

"What happened?" asked the grandmother. "The floor's all wet!" shouted the kid, and we all smiled. In fact, both games had been postponed because of bad field conditions. Water the day before had got under the tarp and soaked the field. Tickets can be redeemed for another game in April. It was a lovely ride down and back. Lots of people were out and about, taking advantage of the good weather in the many little towns I passed through along the way. But it was still four hours of driving for nothing.