Wednesday, July 7, 2010

more saints seen and popsicles

Popsicles are perfect for cooling down parched, overheated bodies during torrid heat spells, such as the one now we're in the middle of here. I feel as if I've been living on popsicles for days now. The many little sticks piling up from them reminded me of this little booklet by Cyrilla Mozenter, for a 2005 show at the Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum in Ridgefield, Connecticut. The show featured work from Mozenter's More saints seen series, which was inspired by a Gertrude Stein opera. When I talked with Mozenter a couple of years ago, she mentioned that she had for a while used popsicle sticks in her work, seeing in them a streamlined female form, suggestive of Cycladic sculpture. She described walking the streets of Manhattan, picking up discarded popsicle sticks. The image obviously stuck in my mind. Here she has used a stick for the closing for this booklet. You can see Mozenter's marvelous work at www.cyrillamozenter.com.