Monday, July 12, 2010

home run derby

Do people really believe that Ryan Howard has become a singles hitter? I'm stunned by some of the sabermetric, and other, theories being floated. Some writers clearly have agenda, stemming from Howard's contract. But do they really believe Howard has lost his power? Yo, Ryan, you'll always be my slugger of choice. Meanwhile, kudos for putting in a great deal of work to round out your game.

Tonight is the Home Run Derby. I confess that I only watch it when a Phillie is involved. So I saw Bobby Abreu win in Detroit and Ryan Howard (#6 at left)in Pittsburgh. Otherwise, not my thing. Tonight though I'm going to the Home Run Derby, the Triple-A one that is, which is being held at Coca-Cola Park in Allentown and is one of the events leading up to the Triple-A All-Star game on Wednesday. What makes this derby cool is that it includes not only sluggers from the International and Pacific Coast Leagues, but also two local high school kids, who won qualifying competitions held last month at the park to take part. What a thrill that must be for the two kids involved.

Good to hear that Domonic Brown is OK. He was lifted in the first inning of the Futures Game yesterday while standing on third. The reason was a slight strain in his right hamstring. Word is that he is OK. Righty pitcher Jarred Cosart, the other Phillie farmhand tabbed for the game, did not even go because he is nursing a tired something or other. He's a pitcher; I don't want to know the details. Word on that though is that he too is OK.