Wednesday, June 2, 2010

the girl who kicked the hornet's nest

Yesterday around noon I picked up the final book in the Stieg Larsson trilogy and was deep into when the Phillies game started last night. I finished the book around 10 and immediately fell asleep. This morning I read the dispiriting accounts of the game in Atlanta and Hamels' wasted start. But the worst news to me is that Jimmy Rollins will not be ready to return on Saturday when his current stint on the DL expires. Both Juan Castro and Wilson Valdez have already seen too much playing time. The offensive drought has carried into the field and onto the base paths. Where is the mojo?

The Hornet's Nest, by the bye, was totally gripping. The Larsson books are the only books I have read this year that are worth 500+ pages. (Five hundred seems to be the magic number these days for publishers but many books do not justify being that long.) I now understand the rumors about an unfinished manuscript for a book four in the series, as the third one leaves the door open. The Hornet's Nest galloped to its conclusion, sweeping this reader along. Amazingly, each book is better than the last. Stieg Larsson, you are missed.