Thursday, July 23, 2009

mark buerhle perfect


This graffiti caught my eye as I was parking the car in a restaurant parking lot in Delaware Water Gap last week. Cowcowmilk.

Wow! I was working to the radio when I heard that Mark Buerhle of the White Sox had a perfect game through eight against the Tampa Bay Rays. I rushed to watch the top of the 9th on TV. Gabe Kapler, the first batter, hit a bullet to deep center. It looked destined for the seats but Dewayne Wise, put in that inning for defensive purposes, tracked it down, made an extraordinary catch over the fence, then juggled the ball as he hit the ground, and caught it again with his bare hand. Amazing! I was so fired up that I was screaming.

You had to wonder how Buerhle would keep his emotions in rein after Wise's catch. But he struck Hernandez out on a 3-2 pitch, then got Bartlett on a nerve-making grounder to the shortstop Ramirez. With that, Mark Buerhle had thrown the 18th perfect game in major league history. A no-hitter makes you smile. A perfect game makes you smile more. Wow!

Yes indeedy, I was really lucky to see Kevin Millwood's no-hitter at the Vet.