Friday, February 20, 2009

steve degler to ironpigs

Longtime radio play-by-play voice of the Reading Phillies, Steve Degler is joining the TV broadcast team of the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. Degler joined the Reading Phillies in 1992, making him the longest-tenured broadcaster in the Eastern League. I never got to hear Degler all that much, usually only when driving home from Reading games, but I liked his work. He was to me the voice of minor league baseball. This season he'll be taking Ricky Bottalico's place as color analyst in the IronPigs' TV booth.

Bottalico will reportedly be taking Mitch Williams' postgame spot on Comcast TV. Whenever I heard Bottalico last year working 'Pigs' games, he was so-so, perhaps challenged by how dismal the team was. When he filled in on Comcast postgame shows during the Phillies' postseason, he was a lot better. Mitch Williams, by the bye, now has a gig with MLBN. Degler will still do TV broadcasts for the Reading Phillies and Williams will continue on Comcast on a limited basis.

I'm happy to hear that Degler will now be on airwaves in my listening area, but wish he were going to be on the radio.