Thursday, February 5, 2009

116th street station





I took the 2 train up to Harlem yesterday, to 116th Street. The subway station there had two fabulous glass mosaics: Minton's Playhouse and The Movers and Shakers. Created by Vincent Smith for the MTA's great Arts for Transit program, they pay homage to some of the people and places that have made Harlem great.

I was in New York to interview artist Xenobia Bailey, who suggested meeting at Settepani, on the corner of 12oth and Lenox, which turned out to be a neighborhood haunt of hers. We talked for several hours, but there was no time to eat at the restaurant, which features Mediterranean food and has a bakery. What I can say about Settepani is that it has a wonderfully mellow ambience and plays jazz. I'd go back again to try the bread or the food. I thank Xenobia for the introduction.