Sunday, May 4, 2008

a lot, too little, and then eight belles

Brett Myers showed me a lot on another chilly, blanket night at the ballpark. He went seven, striking out 10 and working hard. He and Giant starter Matt Cain combined for a fairly quick duel. In the end it again came down to the bullpens in the 10th. This time the Phillies were on the short end, as the Giants scratched out a go-ahead run against Rudy Seanez in a 3-2 win. Pox on the fans who booed Ryan Howard, who admittedly continues to frustrate. The demographic is the 18-34 talk-radio male, the same group that was mindlessly chanting MVP each time Utley (NL Player of the Month for April) came to bat. Enough with that at games in May. It's like voting for the All-Star game before June. Who except homers would do that? Meanwhile, the Phillies vaunted offense has been anemic since last Sunday. Except of course for Chutley and the Bat.

I stuck to the rule of nine and left after the 9th. On my way out, the Flyers sealed the deal in Montreal, finishing off the 1st-seed Canadiens in five. By the time I got to the car, the Phillies were down to their last at-bats.

I listened to the Kentucky Derby in the parking lot before the game. After hearing my two faves in the race come in 1st (Big Brown) and 2nd (Eight Belles), I turned off the radio and headed for the park. Only on the way home, in rain and fog, did I hear about Eight Belles. It breaks the heart. Today I've got to take a time-out from everything, including baseball.