Tuesday, September 14, 2010

blueclaws fall to drive in opener

I got a chirpy phone call yesterday afternoon from someone named Danielle, working for the Lakewood BlueClaws. She wanted to know if I were thinking of attending Thursday night's playoff game. I've just bought tickets, I told her. She sounded thrilled to hear that, adding that it was Thirsty Thursday and beers would be one dollar. If I took full advantage of that, I'd need a ride home. No problem, said Danielle. We have designated drivers. Even to Pennsylvania? Absolutely not a problem, she assured me.

I was impressed. In truth, more than one beer at a ballgame would put me to sleep, and I was not anticipating needing a driver. But this is the kind of thing the BlueClaws do. I go to maybe two or three games a year, but each season get at least that many phone calls about upcoming games. Such attention to detail is, no doubt, part of the reason the BlueClaws have led the South Atlantic League in attendance for the past ten years of their existence.

In Greenville last night, the BlueClaws fell to the Drive 3-1. Reynaldo Rodriguez did much of the offensive damage, driving in two, including a 9th-inning solo shot. Leandro Castro broke up the shutout in the 7th-inning with a solo homer. Trevor May surrendered one run in five innings. For the first time in their playoff history, the BlueClaws have lost the opening game of a series. Game 2 is tonight, again in Greenville.