Wednesday, April 21, 2010

take it easy

Enjoying the game, the weather, the brew and the company.

When I heard last night that Kyle Kendrick had thrown eight innings of four-hit ball, left the game with a 3-0 lead, and yet the Phillies lost 4-3 in 10 innings, I almost laughed. Oh sure, the kneejerk reaction to hearing that Ryan Madson had blown the save in the ninth and Jose "On-Again-Off-Again" Contreras had lost it is to go off the deepend over the bullpen. Yes, that was me screaming in the night.

What almost made me laugh, though, was a conversation I had on Monday with a friend who had been up in Boston over the weekend to watch their kid play college baseball. He had not had a good weekend and was ready to jump off a bridge. His mom dryly pointed out he had been playing baseball long enough to know that these things happen. One bad weekend, one blown save do not a season make. Nor are they an indication of true ability.

But two wasted pitching gems in a row are hard to take.