Wednesday, March 24, 2010

phillies drive me out to garden

I bought most of my seeds this year from Landreth's, an heirloom seed and bulb company celebrating its 224th year. And it's right here in Pennsylvania! The anniversary catalog, unlike any I've ever seen, quickly went out of print but a reprint is now available for a nominal fee. I ordered two, for a neighbor and for some organic farmer friends in Tono, Japan.

Actually, it was listening to Bobby Valentine that drove me into the fresh air. He was, with John Kruk, doing color for today's game with the Braves in the ESPN park they call home down in Florida. Valentine may be a savvy baseball man but he is really hard to listen to, with a voice that sounds like that of a creepy character from Lemony Snickett. He's also got a know-it-all undertone that grates. So I gave up on watching the Phillies getting blanked and planted shallots instead.