Friday, June 5, 2009

hamels throws complete game shut-out

Aeros swing their bats as Reading starter Joe Savery warms up on the mound.

This is the thing with West Coast swings: I never get to hear the complete game. Sure enough, last night I fell asleep shortly after Chase Utley scored the first run of the opening game with the Dodgers. When I woke, it was to learn that Hamels had thrown 97 pitches (68 K's) in a complete game shut-out. That one run was all the Phillies needed but they added two more in a 3-0 victory. Way to go, Cole! I wonder how opposing pitcher Clayton Kershaw took it. The Phillies always seem to fluster him.

There was a sparse crowd for an autumnal evening at Reading last night but it turned out to be a good game. Starter Joe Savery showed a frustrating aversion to throwing strikes early in the game, walking the first two Aero batters, retiring the next two, then giving up a booming three-run homer. The R-Phils, however, answered with a booming homer of their own, for two in the first. The Akron Aero eventually got one more, while the homeboys added on four in a 7-4 win. Big Michael Taylor had three singles, was hit by a pitch, and scored a run. He continues to look bigger than double-A life.

The six middle-aged men several empty rows back went on in tedious detail about recent Yankee games watched on TV, while the older couples across the aisle were totally, amusingly into the game. It made me think how lucky I am to have access to this great little park. And as it's pretty certain that the Phillies will be trading for a starting pitcher, I'd better see all I can of my fave prospects while they are still here.