Wednesday, September 10, 2008

down, down, down

The Phillies lost 7-3 to the Marlins this afternoon. Brett Myers took the loss, giving up the go-ahead run in the 8th. J.C. Romero, on in the 9th, allowed another three and became a bit testy. I'm on deadline and couldn't even listen to the game but surfaced in time to catch Charlie Manuel's postgame press conference. Gotta love Charlie! He gave the reporters lots to chew on though I somehow wonder if most of them got it. Definitely a superior man. And no one appreciates the direness of the team's situation more than he does. After all, Jamie Moyer will be pitching tomorrow, at age 45, on three days' rest and there is no pitcher for Sunday. (Good luck with that wild card idea!) Charlie spoke candidly, too, about the differences between last year's team and this, without throwing any of his guys under the bus. It's the first time in years, though, that the Phillies have floundered at season end. Sigh.

Then I read some blogs and by the time I finished reading those comments, I had more or less put the loss if not the season behind me. Thank heavens the people writing are nowhere near the front office or field of any MLB or MiLB team.