Saturday, March 8, 2008

repeat after me

"It's still early, and it's only spring training." But listening to today's game with the Indians, another team, like the Dodgers, moving next spring to Arizona, was brutal. I am torn between wanting to hear baseball and despairing at what I hear. In truth, the only important thing is for everyone to stay healthy.

I've just realized that ESPN's spring training schedule reflects the usual bias, with lots of Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, and Dodgers featured. Interesting that the Phillies will not be shown once, despite being the reigning NL East champions and having the 2007 and 2006 MVP's. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Rockies, too, are being scorned. So far I've caught a couple of innings of two different ESPN games, one with the Red Sox, the other, I think, with the Dodgers and Yankees. Sutcliff and Thorne announced for one game and a couple of innings was all I could take. Steve Phillips was on the other game, with another similarly irritating guy.